Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Supply Rustling

Though I live in San Francisco, it's hard to locate all of the supplies I need for the Christmas gift extravaganza. You would think this would be easier given the numerous art stores. However, all those cute art students look at me blankly when I ask for interfacing or con-tact paper. I'm going to be persecuted for this, but sometimes I long for big-box stores like Michael's and even Wal-Mart where I can get everything I need (albeit made in Taiwan) cheap and at my convenience. The trouble with making gifts for Christmas is you actually spend more in the end when you account for your time, and I don't mean the time I enjoy making the gifts or packaging them. I mean the horrendous amount of time I spend riding the Muni to and fro across the city searching for black felt. 
Thank goooseness for Blick's and its close proximity to my work place. One hour and $187.67 later I had half of the supplies I needed for the forthcoming crafts. Yesterday I found CORK con-tact shelving material (perfect for coasters) at Cole Hardware and I will definitely be going back to ransack their supply of unique canning jars and bottles (for the infused vodka, mixers, and bath salts). 

I still have quite a few things to find, but I think I can finish off my list at the fabric store in the Haight. Anyone have any other great craft shops here in the city? 

Pics of the supply loot to come!


3 comments:

  1. i know how you feel! i hate to surrender to michael's and THE MAN, but its exhausting running around the city searching for odds and ends! (especially with no car.)

    that being said- a few places i've had success are: britex (http://www.britexfabrics.com/) and all the hardware stores on polk- true value (polk and sac) brownies (polk and sac- diagonal from true value), cole- and i don't know if you do any jewerly making- but if you do (and you can brave the tourists) grant st in china town is your friend.

    hope you keep us posted on your holiday crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! What does Brownies sell?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brownies is a hardware store too- but its a bit more upscale than some of the others on polk!

    ReplyDelete